View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Libertarians: Stop Using Logic

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, to convert someone to a minority - some might say fringe - political point of view, it's important to act as obnoxiously as possible and to stereotype all other political views accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a legitimate political view doesn't preclude that view from having a stereotypical audience. Alot of black, violent criminals would like the War on Drugs repealed, but that doesn't make your view any less legitimate.

I would say that most mainstream political views are authoritarian. While HMK's tone suggests a bit of obnoxiousness, I don't really see it as as say, a moral failing of Democrats that some liberal ideas are authoritarian, something you might say is a caricature. It's just a consequence of evolutionary theory with regards to memes; most populist ideals appeal to ego in some way. And it would do well for self-described libertarians to better adapt their ideas to fit that mold to enter public discourse. Instead of saying, "THIS is why I'm right", argue more along the lines of "YOU don't want to be wrong, do you?"