View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Kinda OT: How to teach a total novice poker

given that i only started learning a year ago, i can give you a good list from the perspective of a learner, you can ask gobbo about the other side of my learning

1) DO NOT tell to read theory of poker, he will so lost that he will probably play worse
2) start him on micro MTT's, the concept of robusto is common to everyone, the idea one winning a $3 mtt at his level will be an awesome motivator
3) explicitly write down the ranges of hands he should be playing from each position, the one on SSNL is kind of missleading
4)don't mix in % of times you should be raising, give him a concrete list of hands that he will always raise or always fold, its really hard to grasp raising sometimes and folding others
5)watch him and extrapolate on a concept once you see he understands the basics, like why you raise small pocket pairs(something new people HATE to do) and stealing blinds
6)try to switch off between watching him play and him watching you, it will be easier given that you guys will be in the same room
7)just answer the questions, you will get a lot of "should i raise KQ?" over and over again, the good thing about tournaments is you will not have to worry about postflop play really which makes it a lot easier to learn, i think the fact that i started on MTTs made it a lot easier since i only really had to worry about preflop pay and didnt have to worry about doing something later on, you can move him to cash once he gets a br/some confidence etc.