View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Quality of Service settings for online poker

Does anyone have any experience of setting up a Quality of Service (QoS) router to work with online poker programs?

I don't know much about the subject, but I do know that when I'm playing poker and my flatmates start making heavy use of the internet, everything grinds to a halt and I basically have to take a break till they've finished.

I'm looking at various options but I haven't yet decided on one solution. I don't want to spend a lot on a new ADSL wireless-G modem/router because I already have one, as well as a stand alone modem and a wireless router.

Just looking around, these seem to be some of the options:

D-Link DGL-4300 (GamerLounge) - apparently this is good but it's been discontinued, and there doesn't seem to be a direct replacement with QoS

Billion 7300G - looks perfect but apparently the wireless range is really bad

D-Link DSL-G624T - QoS features look a bit limited

Hawking Broadband Booster - Could get one of these devices and stick it between the ADSL modem and the standalone wireless router, apparently they work well for VOIP etc, not sure about online poker? Configuration options seem to be limited. It also costs almost as much as just buying a new wireless modem/router

So my question is, if I get a router with very basic QoS functions, will it work straight out the box with online poker programs? Do poker applications work over certain ports that need to be configured? How much configurability do I need to look for?

Thanks for any help, and recommendations on the hardware would be useful.