Thread: Beyond ABC
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Beyond ABC

Hi mike,

Here's my opinion which is quite possibly wrong.

If you choose good games, and play full ring or close to it, then "ABC" poker will probably win at pretty much every level (certainly 25/50 NL online and below), as long as by "ABC", you don't mean, "Never bluff and play very predictably in general". In games not filled with donks, ABC poker still means sometimes limping, sometimes raising when opening a pot with JTs, AA, and whatever. It means sometimes semi-bluffing/raising for a free card, sometimes not. I could go on and on, but what I'm saying here is that "ABC" at this level means trying to avoid big mistakes, while relying on others to make big unforced errors (as players in very good games will).

"Advanced" play in my mind is actively leading your opponents into mistakes (and countering other advanced players' attempts to do the same to you), by observing their tendencies and then setting them up with plays that are usually sub-optimal in the immediate sense, though not in the global sense if they succeed in forcing big mistakes down the road.

If you want to win in tough games, or even in average shorthanded games, you can't play ABC, IMO.