View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Re: 8/5 WEC MMA write-up

I have several comments about this, which was a good write up.

The first is that I echo the sentiment of Larson being the favorite. Condit has showen himself very vulenrable to takedowns in the past, and I think that larson's takedowns are much better than what Condit has seen before. Although i like condit, it's hard to pick him when it looks like his opponent will control the pace of the fight from the get go. Congrats on getting Larson at + numbers, good value there. I'd take larson up to -130 or -135, a little farther than you, simply based on the fact that he is 90%+ likely to control the pace of the whole fight with takedowns.

I have met and watched Stephen Ledbetter train, and am a complete homer for the HardCoreGym in Athens (I train there, we actually just got ATT affiliated, represent son). So keep that in mind. Stephen Ledbetter is a really impressive wrestler. He's pretty unknown, but his style involves very good takedowns, and then GnP. His MMA wrestling is the strongest part of his game, imo.

Adam Singer (Rory's brother and a Brown Belt) is the prinicpal trainer at the HCG. Rory is actively involved as well. Basically, those two are the main guys (as they co-own the place), but there is also kind of an atmosphere of everybody helps everybody when it's training time. About 8+ pros fight out of HCG, 5 of which are at the 'big time' in their divisions. Rory (UFC MW), Forrest (UFC LHW), Carmelo Merrero (UFC LHW), Ledbetter (145 WEC), and Brian Bowles (135 WEC). Btw, if anyone is in NorthEast GA, this is the best MMA school anywhere, come check it out.

Stephen by GnP TKO is my prediction, but i'm also never gonna predict him to lose. I think he'll do extremely well in his debut, and think he can be a real force in the division.

WAR LEDBETTER!