View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Who\'s at fault, the parents or the coach?

Enrique,

I agree that the parents overreacted and that the coach is being immature. My take on it is that the kid lost his temper and behaved poorly but so did the coach. The coach was steamed and he hauled off and jerked the kid around for a good scolding. I know nothing about football. It seemed to me like a huge overreaction. Why not just bench the little dude or something. I'm glad you thought the tiny font was ridiculous too because I sure got a laugh out of it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

============================

Phil,

[ QUOTE ]
I've never understood the rationale behind making someone apologize who doesn't want to. That's worse than picking up a kid by the face IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Not into the forced apology ritual huh? I agree it does seem a little idiotic. I guess it’s a power play, like when my sister used to hold me down until I apologized and forced me to say that I worshipped the ground she walked on. I hated having to do that. It was humiliating.

==========================

Blarg,

Wow, just reading your post makes me fret about kids’ heads. It’s like they have a big egg sitting on top of their shoulders (and any talk of vertebrae dislocation gives me the heebie geebies.)

Ok I understand that lifting a kid by his head is a really poor idea but come on can't you picture yourself infuriated, adrenaline rushing, faced with a kid who won’t listen to you...and you reach out in the heat of the moment and grab his collar and whip him around? Is that a normal reaction for a coach? I guess that would be pretty sketchy for a coach to do. Frankly I think it would be really hard just to watch a coach screaming at my kid let alone lifting him off the ground.

I’m curious to hear Blarg’s take on forced apologies. Good idea?