View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: girls who play poker - a turn off for guys who don\'t play poker?

[ QUOTE ]
lately, it seems that guys that i've met haven't been all that interested in me, ever since i started playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be so quick to put it down to poker. I have to wonder if it isn't an attitude change as well. Not having a regular job/studies and playing a mindless game for hours a day probably dulls some of your edge, and if you're used to regular attention, edge is generally what people are attracted to unless you're a stunner.

This is going to sound funny but the other thing to consider is that you're on a bad streak. I've gone through various phases where many girls show interest, and others where I'm largely ignored. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it sometimes. If you usually get hit on once a week, by pure math you're going to have cold streaks where you go months without an attraction.

[ QUOTE ]
i think it may be because these guys think i'm a degenerate gambler, because they don't understand poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's more to it than that; poker says a lot about your moral character as well. Your professional life consists of sitting on your butt and taking money from clueless or sick strangers, while providing nothing in return. Normal people tend to look down on that almost instinctively

[ QUOTE ]
i'm a really honest and straightforward person, but i think the next time i meet a guy i'm interested in, i'm going to hold off telling him about my poker playing until we get to know each other a little. or maybe i have no choice but to stick with dating fellow poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mystery and honesty don't have to be exclusive. It's fun to hold the cards (no poker pun intended) and this is a good excuse to play with it.