Thread: Poker Hand XML
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Poker Hand XML

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and those already include who wins and who looses, it'd be a simple matter of transferring that to an attribute. No calculation is done neither place.

[/ QUOTE ]

LDO, but look at the text I quoted. He said we shouldn't include who won/lost. If we didn't, then how else would we get who won without determining hand strength?

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright, I might've misunderstood you here then. So you're into us including who won the hand? If that's the case, we agree [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now this is some funny stuff. You cannot compare iterating integers to parsing the XML file, taking care of all player actions, counting the pot together, deducting rake, jackpot amounts and so forth. The thing is that that requires some serious code to parse the XML and count the sum, there is absolutely no reason for the converting application not to do this along the way as is required anyways.

And if you think I'm talking about speed, you're dead wrong. I'm talking about code complexity.

[/ QUOTE ]

The parser (say a web converter, which would actually be reading the XML file) would be keeping track of each and every element/attribute.

In order to display:

[Flop]
Hero bets $253.58

...it obviously needs to know the "value" field of street 2 for each player (which means he knows their position, name, and action as well) no matter what. So really, yes it does just boil down to math because the info is getting parsed either way.

The hand converter would likely have this value stored in a local property of some class. If he has to go back and reparse the entire file when it comes to figuring out the pot size then he's retarded. That is the nicest way I can say it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not really understanding the problem I'm laying out. Yes, if we're completely parsing the hand, we will know the final pot size. But if we're simply reading the XML file, transforming it into another format, only interested in the overall summary (win/loss), it would be a great help not having to parse the complete action to get the final pot size and net win/loss.