View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Re: I\'m going to get flamed: Day Job vs. Poker...

I'm lazy, so here's a reply I wrote to a 'Should I go Pro?' post a couple months back:

- Do you make sure you leave the house every day before you play poker? Not every single day, but it's a good idea. Of course you can play in the day and go out with friends in the evening, that's the beauty of being your own boss.

- Do you make sure you have at least one day off a week? Yes, sometimes more. Otherwise you'll burn out.

- Do you treat poker like a job and set yourselves set hours to play? No. Poker isnt supposed to feel like a job! But again, try to avoid monster sessions which can lead to burn out/ tilt.

- Do you limit yourself so you only start playing after a certain hour of the day? No. Play when it suits you, or when you find the games are good. The beauty of playing online is it's flexibility.

- Do you play different types of game (cash, omaha etc...) to keep yourself more mentally stimulated? Yes, but I've been doing this for about 5 years. When I'm feeling burnt out at say, online NLHE cash, I'll switch to O8 for a few weeks or go play live. Just don't donk your bankroll off at something you're a losing player at.

- Do you make sure you go and see friends at least X number of times a week? Yup. But that's just called having a life

Some more thoughts....

- Do you find that playing poker online (a). is stressful, b. is overwhelming c. has made you less comfortable in social settings, d. has put a strain on your social relationships It worries me that you think of poker this way to start with. Poker can be a great way to make money, travel the world and meet new people. The swings ARE stressful, so be prepared. But even being a low-limit winning poker player, IMHO, is a million times better than commuting to work and sitting in an office all day with someone telling you what to do.

- How do 2+2 and other poker friends help you to deal with your lifestyle? My first year or two as a pro I had no one to talk to at all about it, after that I met some fellow pros. Like any job, it is very nice to be able to discuss your work with 'colleagues' who understand what it's about. If you don't know any, read and post here.

- Probably a stupid question given my audience, but, is it worth it? You're just out of college so you probably don't realise just how much poker PWNS having a real job. To me, it's totally worth it, and I am not a balla, just a medium stakes grinder/ occasional tourney player who likes my freedom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple more things I think are very important: Have minimum 3 months outgoings saved. Practice good bankroll management. DO NOT TILT. Anaylse and try to improve your game as you go along. And most of all, you MUST love poker. Just my own personal take on things, others will no doubt give you different answers. Hope this helps and good luck.