View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em study group

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you prefer going the SSNL raise of 4xbb+limpers instead of just pot pot pot ?

but since you are targeting the blinds more than anything in 6max, will going broke once in a while with an overpair vs. giving the blinds a better price (thus allowing them to stay tight) really be a good trade off.

Assumes vanilla 2+2 tags on your left, in other words people what you feel are worse then you, when playing with wide ranges .... so in this scenario, do we have a case, where you might want to only make 3xbb in order to force them to open

Does your book cover the above btw ??? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

hi gelford thanks for the praise in the other post!

i think i need a couple glasses of wine to understand your post here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

blind stealing definitely skews preflop raising strategy a bit. is that what you're getting at? and yeah you will have to get all in for 100bb some times if your opponents are any good. no free lunch anymore.

here's a thought for you: it's been argued that in early position you should raise less to allow opponents to call with a wider range of hands (since you are raising with a small range of mostly premium hands). however, that needs to be balanced with SPR concerns, which the discussion i believe has ignored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, about the raising smaller when OOP. I don't like this idea. Mostly because you need to force your opponents to play more predictably when you are OOP. If you raise only a small amount it makes it much cheaper and as a result easier IMO to float you. This is of course fine if your delt QQ+ every hadn but when you have AK and whiff its probably a good thing if the guy folds his unimproved QJ/KQo on the flop once in a while because its rlly difficult to show down ur hand if he calls.

The main reason I don't think this is a good idea is that from personal experience I found that when RR'ing out of the blinds with a somewhat large range (AJs+/AQo+/KQ+/TT+) its noticably harder to be profitable if you raise just pot sized. Which is rlly weird IMO.

For example, if you raise in EP to 2BB and button calls, blinds fold. Flop comes low 259r and you hold AK. Your pretty vulnerable to a flop raise/flop float here. Also the pot will probably have a tendency to go multiway which is probably not good because ur reltiave position is bad and ur likely not raising good multiway pot hands like SCs/pocket pairs.