View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Driving across the U.S.

I-70 through Utah, then North to Grand Canyon Best scenery in the country IMO.

The Arch in St. Louis has a great Louis and Clark Museum at the base. I also recommend the Budweiser Brewery tour.

A place called Boss Hog's in Topeka, KS has the best BBQ ribs I've ever eaten.

Denver has some pretty cool bars in the neighborhood near Coors field (I forget the name).

Vegas Bob

Baker, NV has Great Basin National Park. Much of its allure to me was its remoteness, but it also has nice caves. There's some neat little old towns on the way from Las Vegas, too. Pioche has a cool little museum at the top of the hill. Its an old courthouse that looks like it hasn't been touched since 1920. Ask to look through the old documents.

If you enjoy religion from a sociologist's perspective, you'll like the Mormon Temple in Salt Lake City. Not only is there great architecture and a well done museum, but you'll be pampered by your guides as they attempt to convert you. All free. Skip the Brigham Young house.

Grand Teton National Park doesn't get the crowds of Yellowstone but I like it better. There are some extraordinary hikes, and plenty of wildlife. The best part to me is that its the only National Park where you can stay at a 4 star hotel. Jackson hole is just outside the park, and you'll get good rates off-season. There's a very good informal restaurant with excellent views at the North Entrance (the one near Jackson Hole).

Deadwood sucks, but Mt. Rushmore is worth a visit.

Chicago. If you're a classic SNL fan, go to Billy Goat's Tavern under Wabash (I think). I've also enjoyed 2nd City, Wrigley (of course), and the Museum of Science and Industry.

You could spend 2 days at the Rock and Roll HF in Cleveland.