View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Play though a hand with me here....

Would I like 76s better? Sure. Do I hate it with 54s? Nope.

I think the resistance people are putting up to this stems in part to the differences between deep-stack poker and what most of us deal with on-line.

The point is that for under 3% of his stack, the hero can see a flop with a well-disguised hand that has enormous implied odds and very low reverse implied odds.

As I see it here's why:

If Hero is raised pre-flop (unless it is a complete donk raise), he folds with 97% of his stack. At this point t400 chips are worth slightly less than the half-melted ice in his drink.

If the flop misses, Hero check-folds, which is effectively the same as folding pre-flop.

If the flop clobbers Hero he can win a huge pot - implied odds.

And best of all, it would be very hard for the Hero to lose a large pot here. It's not like he's going to fall in love with his top pair only to get outkicked. Sure he could end up with a lower flush or straight (or straight-flush [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), but that is always the case with suited connectors.

So in short, there is a huge possible upside, and a very small possible downside.

I have to think he's going to flop a draw, and have to play cards on the flop, but that's what deepstack poker is about. (I hear.)