View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of the doe. Was I the only one who was *sure* on first reading that the patronus which leads Harry to the sword was Ginny's??
I figured
* Harry wouldn't recognize it from DA training cause it changed like Tonks' when they were together, a doe to match his Stag.
* Earlier in the book, Ginny and co. were caught trying to steal the fake sword which indicated she was after it.
* Harry checks the Marauder's Map and doesn't see her soon before the Doe appears, and they make note of the fact that she isn't at Hogwarts due to the Holidays.

I was positive it would turn out to be her, and was trying to figure how she had realized the office sword was a fake, got the real one and how she tracked Harry (working theory was some sort of spell she set while kissing him on his birthday).

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa.

This is a very good theory and I have no idea how I missed thinking that at the time.

Dont get me wrong, I thought it was Snape. But, he is easily my fav. character, and the whole book was, for me, a lead up to Snapes story; the Harry/Voldemort stuff was an after thought, so I was obv. looking for Snape to save to day. But, nice thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is Snape your favorite character? He was incredibly brave but was driven by very small and selfish motives and was never what you could consider a "good" guy. I can never shake that no matter how loyal he became to Dumbledore, he would have gladly participated in bringing about his downfall had it not been for the unlucky circumstance that his boss went after the girl he loved.

Or is that why you like him?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was my fav. character since I read the first book, so the Lilly stuff didnt have an effect.

Obv didnt like him through most of the first book, but from the end on, I really enjoyed his character. I think he is the most interesting/multi-dimensional character in the book (though, after 7, dumbledore gives him a good run).

Yeah, clearly he would not have turned good without Lilly, which is certainly a black mark over his character. I cant help but like him a bit less (it seems different than if he just one day realized the error of his ways), but I still love the character.

Also, something that wasnt mentioned in the thread, was during his chapter, was:

[ QUOTE ]
“ – mediocre, arrogant as his father, a determined rule-breaker, delighted to find himself famous, attention-seeking and impertinent – ”
“You see what you expect to see, Severus,” said Dumbledore, without raising his eyes from a copy of Transfiguration Today. “Other teachers report that the boy is modest, likable, and reasonably talented. Personally, I find him an engaging child.”

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reason Harry needs to hear this. Even when Snape is telling him about how he swore to protect him for his entire life, and he risked his life to help keep him safe, he still has to slip in that he doenst like him. I loved it.