View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: just found out i\'m down 20k LONG (with cliff notes)

This would have been in your financial aid letter, clearly put into nice tables with at least one line that says 'loan'. If you weren't expecting that you should have discussed it w/ your dad then. When calcing fin aid they expect that you have to take out loans. They just want their $$$. Also, your parents aren't leaving you out to dry, they are picking up some of the bill and paying your expenses. This is your first adult lesson, read (or ask about) what you are signing.

You have 6 mos from graduation before you have to start paying. Interest is ridiculously low for these loans. Missing payments will not only affect your credit, but your parents credit as well and the principle will just get bigger in the meantime. They will also go after both you and your parents if left unpaid for long enough. If you're still living w/ the rents (which it sounds like you will be) a job flipping burgers will be more than enough to pay the monthly payments.

Also,
[ QUOTE ]
my point his i feel it was his responsibility to make sure I understood what I was signing

[/ QUOTE ]

Your an adult now and it's not his job to do this anymore. Hopefully lesson learned.