View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: OT: [censored] thread, August, READ RULES IN TOP POST

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't understand how things involving the safety of people isn't taken seriously enough to prevent incidents like this from happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decision making tree for city planners:

1) $$$$
2) Other stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with the city planners themselves. All governments are set up to where unless it is defined as unsafe, then it's not going to be closed & fixed. The engineers should of shut it down, they know how it works & have the power to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, being an engineer I understand the overwhelming pressure that is often applied to them to make the most cost effective decisions.

Obviously safety should be the number one concern and trump everything else. But anytime there is a close decision they will be forced to lean towards the cheaper of the alternatives.

At the end of the day, it is the engineers responsibility. That is why there are professional engineering associations. To ensure that they are acting in the best interest of those who their work affects. I'm sure this incident will be looked into, and if it is determined the engineers where negligent in their duties, someone is going to face the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I was a little confused when you said it had was the city planners(although maybe you mean the city as a whole). Regardless, it's just the nature of the beast for everyone involved.