View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: 5/5 PLO: noob bluffing in 600BB pot

Jamougha - I hate to get into the middle of what might be a long standing battle between you and Ribs. But maybe I can shed a tiny bit of light.

[ QUOTE ]
Here I figure he always bets a set on the flop and he can't really raise with Q5xx so he must also have spades with some additional outs. Like 87ss.

[/ QUOTE ]Mainly I'm posting just to point out that if Villain does have spades, it's likely that he has better spades than you. For example with exactly two spades, then it's 21/36 to 15/36 that his spades are better than yours. With three spades, then it's 64/84 to 20/84 that his spades are better than yours.

I don't know how that information would affect your strategy or even whether or not you already knew that.

I should probably quit here.
---
But I have opponents, good, mediocre, and poor, who would trap with a flopped set from the button in this situation. In other words, it doesn't seem unusual to me that someone might slow play top set after this flop, in order to induce a bluff on the next betting round. I wouldn't be as sure as you seem to be that an opponent who checked this flop from the button wasn't setting a trap. But I might bite anyhow, just as it seems you did.

Does he fold to your pressure on the turn with or without the nut spade draw? Not knowing your opponent, I don't have a clue. (I think it really depends on your opponent).
---
I would think a good fit with this flop would be some arrangements of four cards in the range king-queen-jack-ten-nine.

I can see that you don't have that, or even three cards in the stated range. Does your opponent? Not knowing your opponent, I don't have a clue.
---
Did you play it good or bad? I don't know. On the turn, it seems like you're betting without much in the way of a good hand. Looks pretty much like a bluff or a weak semi-bluff to me. Will that work against this opponent or not? Not knowing your opponent, I don't have a clue.

At any rate, whether it worked or not, it seems like bold play. Thanks for sharing.

Buzz