View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the nice things about SPR is if you build your target SPR, hit your hand, and commit, who cares if they flopped a set or 2 pair or a flush draw that comes in on the turn, etc. . .

You did your job. You expect to make money most of the time when you build your target SPR and hit the hand you were trying to make. But you also expect that they will outflop you sometimes and outdraw you others.

So, when they do, it's easier to swallow. In other words, you reduce the tilt factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the kind of thinking I'm a little hesitant to adopt after reading this book. I'm still not quite finished...I actually started over on the SPR section... so haven't got to the adjustments part yet.

It seems like you're saying, if you build your target SPR and decide you're going to commit, then don't lay your hand down ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, yeah, that would be a pretty big flaw. no, not saying that at all. you can sometimes improve to a better decision. SPR merely provides a global sanity check (Ed's words): is getting all-in reasonable here? can i set up a good situation for my hand?

once you make the preflop assessment and the hand plays out, you then have the option to improve. before any commitment decision, we advocate stepping back and deciding whether it's a good one. so if your opponent pops you hard on the turn, even if SPR says it's profitable to get all-in (from a preflop perspective), you should step back and ask "what's his range NOW?" is my hand still profitable against that range given all the dead money in the pot? if not you muck.

cliff notes: SPR is a guideline for managing effective odds from a preflop perspective. when new information comes in, you should still use it. sometimes that means fold even if you are near your target SPR.

cliff notes on cliff notes: sometimes when a plan meets the battlefield, it dies.

(btw thanks for posting this 7n7, really important clarification)