View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: A little game-theory question: catching river bluffs

[ QUOTE ]
Not to piss on your parade, but this should never happen, because you should almost always bet the turn with anything you have in this spot. If I'm checking the turn, it's with the specific intention of calling a river bet no matter what comes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that this is a good spot to check behind against an aggressive player, and to call any river bet. That said: if I see a good player use this line on this board I'm valuebetting every pair, but certainly not bluffing every hand. Sometimes folding here is certainly the right play if you don't want to be exploited. And there are a lot more situations where it is very probably that villain has just A-high and may or may not fold for a single bet.

I realize that most of the time you want to be exploiting other players instead and counting on him bluffing to much or to little. But sometimes you don't know and then you could take the safe route of the optimal calling frequency.

But that's not the only answer this thread can provide. If you know how often to call, you also know how often you should bluff here if you would be the villain. If you bluff with the right frequency you force villain to call also your valuebets, making you money.