View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: car question: any mechanics help me out

[ QUOTE ]
bumping crappy old thread so i don't have to start crappy new thread.

a guy is trying to sell me a '77 lincoln town car. i took it for a quick test drive and it ran fairly hot. it's been a couple weeks so I can't remember exactly, but I would guess it was about 75% up the gauge. he changed the thermo. and hoses. i called him up and asked about it and he said it was still running a little hot, but old cars and those engines (ford 460) especially typically ran a little hot without causing any problem. obv. i have a hard time believing this whether he's lying or just doesn't know any better.

i'll have another chance to look over it this weekend. is there anything my amateur/clueless ass can take a look at to get an educated guess if it's something serious like a cracked head or w/e?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any white smoke comming out the tailpipe? Is there any water in the oil (light brownish)? If not, Im betting that the guy wasnt BS'ing you, those big old motors will run a little hotter, especially during the summer, does it actually ahve a temp amount on there so you can tell us what its running at?