View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just finished reading the book. I think this book gives a pretty decent recipe for playing soft live games (e.g. bet an amount preflop so that the flop is easier to play,etc). The book's advice imho is terrible for the tough online games. I already read through this and have thought of at least 3 ways you can find out within a couple thousand hands who is trying to implement this and what to do to exploit it (no i won't say how because it is very easy to do if you read the book.)

The book complete ignores the fact that in the tough online games and I am not talking 1/2 or 2/4, the games are so aggro and the players are such good hand readers that people just won't put their stack in against a player who all he does is smash the pot bottom because his SPR told him to commit to his to pair or overpair hand.

I think the author assumes you are playing against a bunch of donkeys. Because a good player will adjust quickly agains this strategy and just not pay you off enough. No matter what SPR you achieve.

I don't find the book horrible but I think it gives a fake sense of security to those who want a quick cookbook recipe to beat poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi tightymcfish,

Thanks for the comments. Couple things....

First off, the book isn't designed to teach players to beat tough aggro high-limit shorthanded online NL games. Tough games are "tough" for a reason, and certainly one needs experience and excellent hand reading skills that are hard to teach in any sort of "cookbook" fashion.

Secondly, I still think most of the concepts in the book are pertinent to any NL game, and could be easily adjusted to even a tough game. No doubt - it would not be as simple as saying "okay I'll just do this everytime and commit everytime." But thinking about Range of hands, Equity, and Maximizing is apt in almost any situation, and is a helpful tool to analyze how to go about reading hands and making the most +EV plays. Thinking about commitment and the idea of the relationship between pot size and remaining stack sizes is extremely helpful - even against tough players.

In fact, one thing you said that I particularly disagree with is this:

[ QUOTE ]
a good player will adjust quickly agains this strategy and just not pay you off enough. No matter what SPR you achieve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certain players at even the high levels have realized that there indeed is a way to play ABC poker without having to be expert hand readers - THEY BUY IN SHORT. Do you think it's a coincidence that so many good high-stakes players absolutely abhor good short-stack players?

The fact is this: many of the excellent, "toughest" players with their laser sharp hand reading skills are completely neutralized by good short-buy players. Despite their impeccable postflop maneuvering, many of these awesome players are often simply playing too loose with not enough preflop equity against a tight range, and have no implied odds to make hand reading skills relevant on the turn or river (because there is no turn or river). And, in fact, they DO end up "paying them off". The shorty is essentially choosing his stack size (as opposed to raise size) to create low SPR's and commit with strong hands.

Again, I totally see where you're coming from, and even appreciate the constructive criticism. I just disagree with the way you're melding concept and practice.

Thanks,

Sunny

[/ QUOTE ]
Sunny thanks for taking the time to respond to my comments on the book. Let me first say that I completely agree with you that the first part of the book is very good and has valuable information like REM.

I also agree that shortstackers take the postflop element of the game away, but as we all shortstackers must be banned from poker. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But most players don't shortstack. Poker is not about shortstacking and it never will. Poker will always be about postflop maneuvering.

[ QUOTE ]
a good player will adjust quickly agains this strategy and just not pay you off enough. No matter what SPR you achieve.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wrote that quote without any shortstackers in mind because postflop just doesn't exist with these guys. But I still feel that quote is true. You will just not get people to pay you off with pot pot pot. There are many ways counteract this its not even funny (obviously I want to keep that to myself since I want to win money [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

Sorry for the long winded answer. But I guess we have to agree to disagree. In the end I do think your book sparked some thoughts in my head (good and bad) which I thank you for. I wish you and matt much success with the book.