View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: What are your all time favorite announcers\' calls?

dnh - Some people seem to really like Gus Johnson but I just think he sounds kind of ridiculous.
Dating back to some of the Gonzaga games and also Princeton beating UCLA. It just seems really manufactured and fake-ish to me. And just sitting there and screaming and screaming and screaming seems so unprofessional the way he does it no matter how exciting the game might be.

I've grown to get used to him a little bit in that now I just don't like his style very much but I no longer feel the need to break things when he goes into his screaming routine. But I still think it's inappropriate.

Yet he seems to be the one that gets the most play on their highlight reels and montage-stuff when they recap great moments, etc. And it isn't just because he was the only one there for the great moments. It's because obviously CBS thinks his screaming captures something that is worth repeating over and over and over.

legend - I'm a reasonably decent Costas fan.
I usually like his PBP and definitely liked his Later show on NBC and his interview stuff on the radio and on HBO (when I catch it).
Usually I'm okay with him.

But he really was ridiculous in game 7 of 97 and I was thinking "WTF is he doing?!?!"
His choosing inopportune times in the middle of his play-by-play to go into yet another baseball-economics-small-market rant would get annoying too. It was overkill. Whether you agreed with him or not sometimes you just want to watch CLE or SD or whoever playing hard in the playoffs and maybe hear about how unexpected it was for them to be there...you don't need to hear AGAIN in the 7th inning of a tie-game or something how they are doing great this year but it's just an aberration because the small-market teams simply cannot compete long-term with the big-money....and this kind of excitement is the reason why baseball needs to fix this situation... blah blah blah.