View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Going broke w Overpair?

What I tend to find at the smaller limits is that most players pre flop aren't going to be interested in getting all their money in unless they have AA or KK. I think your actions pre flop with QQ helps confirm this belief. Most players that I see who will re-raise a re-raiser (and thus essentially are saying I am willing to play for all my chips right now) typically have AA or KK. So by re-raising not just calling the re-raise I think you give yourself a lot of information and allow you to determine if you are really in one of the unfortunate situations where your monster hand is really only second best. If the aggressor only calls the re-raise I think it's safe to say TT-QQ, AK.... and we can all but rule out the QQ.

So I advocate a raise not a call preflop simply to gather more information and prevent going bust with QQ when you run into KK or AA....

And if the villain is skilled enough to realize that I think most people willing to commit their stack have AA or KK and wants to take advantage of me on this hand I'm ok with that because I'd prefer not only to be safe against MOST players, but I can than quickly pick up if this player falls into MOST players category or a player I don't want to tango with category simply by observing him a little closer.