View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: i have a game buy-in theory question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The un-capped game the way he's describing it should be very low variance. If people are opening for 20BB's just buy in short, pick up a premium hand, push it, be crushing his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big wins also increase variance. Anytime you're playing for your stack more often in one game than you are in another, variance goes up.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience the lower the starting stacks compared to the blinds the more often you play for your starting stack. Ever play 1/2 with a $100 max buy in? It's like the final table of an old WPT tourney. AJ = the nuts

Also, I really don't think that statement is true. If you sit in a brad booth game and he open shoves blind for 100BB's and you get to call him for your stack w/ a premium hand you really think a game with repeated situations of that has more variance than a well played game that doesn't necessarily play as big? Your edge has a lot to do with variance too.

I don't know how either of the games OP mentioned play (other than his mention of some very unsound play in the uncapped game). There's nothing theoretical that really supports not stepping into the uncapped game.