View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: i have a game buy-in theory question

[ QUOTE ]
these guys make many bully raises of 40 or more. what that does to me is to make me tighten up waitig for the big hands but then thats not poker. a hand like 88 i will play for a 6bb raise but no way am i gonna play for 20bb. thats the inherit problem with uncapped small blind games. im a good tag player but i prefer smaller fluctuations to my bankroll. im wondering what some of you guys do in these non normal situations?

[/ QUOTE ]

You just described people playing very bad poker. That should increase your expectation. That more than off-sets for any increased variance when you're properly rolled. Again, they can't make you play for more than your effective stack.

Now if you play poorly and make bigger mistakes than their mistakes of course you should avoid that game (or fix that leak). A game where players ignore the math behind poker is a good game to sit in though. I wouldn't let their stacks keep me out of that game. Again, effective stacks are what count. The chips after that might as well be in their bank account as they can't come into play against you. Would you be hesitant to play 1/2 with a $200 cap against Bill Gates if he played poorly?