Thread: Canadian Dollar
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Canadian Dollar

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure of the specifics of how to do it, but what you need to do is figure out how to hedge your currency exposure

[/ QUOTE ]

An easy way to do this is through a CFD or spreadbetting broker (I pretty sure these aren't available in The US, but maybe you can use them in Canada).

There's a cost involved with hedging, but this can be offset somewhat:

If you short the $US against Canadian so your exposure equals that of your $US denominated poker accounts, your risk will be neutralised.

If you have $US10000 in poker accounts, then you can set aside around $200 (spot currencies often require 2% initial margin) and short the $US.

If the dollar falls, you'll make about the same from your hedge as you lost in your poker accounts.

CFD/SB brokers pay you interest on short positions (LIBOR minus a nominal % for their profit). This will be around 2-3%. This small% annual rate will be paid to you on a daily basis and should off-set the costs of dealing fees/spreads (SB are commission free, as are some CFDs).

I've never tried this, but if you have a substantial amount in $US online it might be worth looking into and doing your own dd. I did look into it when the Cable rate was around $1.85 but the amount of $US I have online wasn't really worth the hassle. (If I'd have known it would sink to $2.05, I might have made a little more effot).