View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: National Parks and Camping (advice for me + general discussion)

I have been working at a camp for the past 3 years and although most of my trips have been canoe trips I did one hiking trip in the Adirondacks. The personal locator beacons seem to work very well. Our camp had a few that they sent on trips way up North. Someone accidentally set it off in camp and there were giant flares dropped over the camp and huge helicopters began to fly over camp very low searching. Eventually the camp realized the beacon got turned on accidentally so they turned it off and the helicopters flew away.

I personally would never go on a trip without another person because going by yourself is definetely adding risk. The place you are going seems fairly populated so if I was with a group I wouldn't bother with a sat phone or a beacon but by yourself I would definetely consider it.

I would recommend having a route plan and give it to someone not on the trip so they know where to find you. As well if your route changed I would try and contact that person to let them know.

A question I'm wondering about. A lot of people have talked about stoves but basically every trip I have done we've just made fires. Are you guys all using stoves because its easier or are fires not allowed in some of these parks?