View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: live poker scare in thailand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Did the girls do sexual favors for the cops or something?
Seems pretty risky.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the impression I got. Also, the "Thai girlfriends are very selfless in these situations" bit makes me think this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Living in Thailand now for going on 5 months and reading the story, I didn't take a "sexual favors" angle view out of it at all.

When he refers to the Thai girls "selflessness in these situations" I believe he was reffering to their willingness to drop whatever they were doing and try to help in many ways including: fetching food and drink, interpretation, bribing if necesary (with money), and more than likely using their girlish charms (but not in a direct sexual way).

A good example of these charms would be my gf getting stopped at a police checkpoint on my motorbike with her son and daughter both riding along, all without helmets, and her without licencse and she was on her merry way within one minute of being stopped simply by flashing a friendly smile and a "please, I couldn't find anyone to take them home for me and it's really close." All she had to do was compliment the Officer, smile, be courteous and ask nicely and off she went. So in a way, she was using her sexuality, but never was there any consideration of actual sexual trading. Alongside her my 'Merican friend was stopped, driving solo, with a helmet, but with no license. He's a dood, he spoke little Thai, and he's a farang. He had the pleasure of waiting 10mins and paying a 300THB fine for no license.

I fully concur with Degen's appraisal of selflessness being Thai girls' nature. My gf and I have plenty of arguments indoors, but when we go outside she is fiercely supportive and defensive of me. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if sexual trades were made, but I certainly would be V surprised. Thais girls are amazing with their outlook and the way they treat their partners, but the one thing most of them expect in exchange is absolute fidelity WRT sex. Thus, it would seem very out of character for a Thai Girl to do the one thing, even in this extreme situation, that would destroy a relationship if it were done by the men.

My best guess as to the actual remedy in this case is that it involved a significant (by Thai standards not western standards) chunk of cash changing hands discreetly (thus saving face for the arrestors), outside the view of the farangs and most of the actual police/immo officals. This, coupled with using up a big chunk of influence with whatever string pullers they managed to call in probably saved the day.