View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Your level of golf?

[ QUOTE ]

what didn't you like about college golf?

[/ QUOTE ]

We had a pretty competitive program in the Midwest. Our top 3 guys were set in stone. And then there were 6 guys always battling for the last 2 spots. So, it was constant qualifying. If you weren't traveling to a tournament then you were in a qualifier to get into a qualifier. So, while our team might be playing Thu-Sat, 4 guys would be playing in a prequalifier for 2 spots over the weekend. If you qualified then you would get to play in a 2 round qualifier on Tues-Weds with 1 or 2 guys who played bad in the previous tournament. If you happened to play well in that qualifier you were off to the next tournament. Playing in tournaments was great, but it meant missing 1 or 2 days of classes which meant scrambling to make up for tests and such.

So, it was literally like 5-6 competitive rounds per week (a lot of college tournaments were 54 holes in 2 days) in springtime Midwestern weather (windy, cold, and rainy).

The time commitment was huge. I probably spent 45+ hours per week either practicing, playing, or driving to/from the golf course (one of which was 1 hour away). Not to mention that I had to schedule my classes to end by noon. That meant an 8:00am class every friggin day.

Typical schedule looked like this:

7:00am-8:00am Shower. Maybe eat breakfast.
8:00am-12:30PM CLASS
12:30pm-1:15pm Scramble to the dining hall to grab lunch.
1:15pm-1:45pm Drive to golf course
1:45pm-6:45pm Play another 5 hour round of golf
6:45pm-7:15pm Drive back to campus
7:15pm-8:00pm Get dinner at dining hall or grab pizza if dining hall closed.
8:00pm-9:00pm In food coma because I pigged out after walking 18 holes of golf.
9:00pm-11:00pm Too exhausted to study. Maybe I'll go out for a few beers.
11:00pm Bedtime.

Balancing that with an active social life and trying to maintain a 3.0+ GPA in a tough accounting program was not fun.

I hated college golf but it helped pay for my school.