View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Improving your speaking voice

I did a CLE that involved public speaking where they taped my performance before and after the speaking coach was through. It was a while ago, so I don't remember everything, but I do remember some points.

* TALK LOUD. I have a naturally quiet speaking voice. So I basically felt like I was yelling by the time the coach said my voice was loud enough. This is obviously not applicable if you're speaking into a mic.

* Vary your speaking pattern. Don't say everything in the same tone. Speak slowly and emphasize some points. Speak faster at other points. Don't be a monotone.

* Scan the room. Maintain eye contact with the audience. But make sure it's not just one person. So you divide the room into thirds and face each third of the room for a few seconds before you move to the other thirds. (My big problem is that, when I have to think about something (e.g., answering a question, I look up to the ceiling before I answer). It's a tendency I've had for years in 1-on-1 conversations. It's distracting.

* Posture. Stand up straight. Notice your arms. Don't just let them lay by your side, you need some movement, but not too much.