View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: NFL Preseason Thread

[ QUOTE ]
We got Takeo Spikes. Added depth on the D-Line with Reagor and Ian Scott. Freak is healthy.

[/ QUOTE ] The D-line rotation is going to be key for the Eagles. Outside of Trent Cole their pass rush was non existent last year even when Kearse was healthy. I was not a big fan of the Spikes signing (I think he is slipping), but he should be an upgrade over Jones. I like Gaither, I hope he can take that next step.

As for my take on the Bears:

Last season: A

Trip to the Superbowl has to be a great season. Dominated the entire NFC, not that it was that hard, and held their own against most AFC teams. And had a chance to win the Superbowl with the best defensive tackle in football standing on the sidelines. I have accepted the Super Bowl as Peyton Manning just not making a mistake. I wish upon wish that he did, but he just stayed smart the whole game. Nothing you can do about that.

Draft: B

Olsen should be an upgrade offensively. His blocking still leaves alot to be desired and will be nowhere as good as Des Clark's. Okwo looks like he could step into Brigg's shoes next year. Besides that some good speacial teams players a spot where the Bears have really been loaded the last few years.

Offseason: B

The loss of Thomas Jones hurts, but it's the price you have to pay with drafting Cedric Benson. The contract hangs over the Bears and there is no way you can justify both running backs making #1 back money. Jones got what he was promised a trade to a team where he can be a #1.

I'm still not pleased with the departing of Ron Rivera. The players insit Babich thinks exactly the same, but I liked the hybrid of Lovie's defense and a more aggressive Rivera scheme. Hopefully, it stays that way and doesn't become more "Tampa Two"ish.

The Archelta signing is probably better for the Bears than it would have been for most teams. He's not a big cap hit this year and he has excelled in this system before. We'll see if the bad back has ended his career.

Season Outlook:

The defense returns everbody, but Tank Johnson and a healthy Harris and Mike Brown puts them back into the domination they had at the begining of last year.

Hestor getting snaps on offense should be fun. Wade Wilson is gone. Hopefully the QB coach can keep Grossman as the guy who dominated a majority of games last year. Instead of the bad Rex everbody seems to think he is.

Still the best team in the NFC. Still with a pretty easy divison.