View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Let\'s lobby Sen. Barack Obama

I was going to put this in Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Weekly action thread, but it seemed important enough for its own thread. We need a senator to support some pro-Internet poker legislation. We also need a top-tier presidential candidate with us. Perhaps we can get a two-for-one in Barack Obama.

As 61% of House Congressional Black Caucus members are with us ("A" or "B", meaning they've at least consponsored the study bill), and as 49% of House Democrats are "A" or "B" rated in my rating post, it makes sense to look at the top-tier presidential candidates who are Democratic senators and members of the Congressional Black Caucus. Obviously there's only one....Sen. Barack Obama. So, I phoned his office yesterday to ask him to support us. I was very surprised to hear that they were familiar with the legislation and that they "may" release some statement in a couple of days.

Additionally, Barack Obama is reputed to be a good, tight player. On a blog on his own website, at http://my.barackobama.com/page/commu...layersforObama , is the following post:

[ QUOTE ]
Obama Supports Poker Players-- and Poker Players SHOULD Support Obama
By Zach - Jun 4th, 2007 at 6:22 pm EDT

Terry Link, the senate majority whip, complained about Obama’s successes in a long-running poker game. “I’m putting his kids through college,” Link said.

Long before he became a political rock star with designs on the White House, Barack Obama was known to friends in the Illinois legislature as a fearsome card player.

During weekly games of Texas Hold 'Em, he played a tight style of poker -- patiently waiting for the right cards, folding when dealt a bad hand and taking few unnecessary risks.....

[/ QUOTE ]

A longer article is at www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=0130165f-82d7-4c5a-85bc-64d52aaf8318&k=36044&p=1 .

So, he sounds like someone who may be on our side. Perhaps we should choose one day next week to all phone his office to ask for his support. By coordinating it for the same day, it should make a bigger impression. What do you all think?