View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Re: The Official \"gravida\" reaction thread

awesome. you both got the DVD and liked the film...whew

[ QUOTE ]
What I didn’t like about Gravida was that I felt absolutely no empathy for Kristin. Things that turned me off to feeling sympathetic were her being bitter enough about the guy that dumped her to leave his mutilated photo out for her new date to witness, the amount of wine she consumed even though she was pregnant, and the fact that she was attempting to get the guy to sleep with her on a first date without bringing the conversation around to her condition. It wouldn’t be a stretch to suppose that she got pregnant on purpose to hook the guy who dumped her. She just seemed like that sort of girl.

So when the film ended I felt it had done an excellent job of characterizing a person I didn’t care about. It may be I’m just too much of a sociopath to feel sorry for people who feel sorry for themselves, but I would have liked Gravida more if I could have cried with her.

[/ QUOTE ]

in the writing, that was the single toughest thing to figure out, how to make her a protagonist that people can feel some empathy for and in the end we had to go for the idea that the audience may not agree with what she's doing but they hopefully can understand why she's doing it. some people won't be able to turn that into empathy, some will. so it goes.

as a filmmaker, i guess i'm not asking for empathy, i'm asking for understanding, and i don't know how often films do that, which tends to make people uncomfortable. most dramas seem to have a message, or a point of view, but this one doesn't, really. the film itself is neutral. the fact that you liked the film but didn't necessarily like the character means that on some level i did my job, i guess. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

oh, and she doesn't drink any of the wine.

the pictures...well...that's my cameo [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] seriously, though, the pictures obviously give her a backstory of having a boyfriend who we can assume knocked her up and then at some point took off (why else would she cut him out of a photo?) and i wasn't sure people would pick up on that if we didn't put at least one of the photos in a prominent spot...if you look closely, there's a photo in the bedroom that's been put face down. Adam almost sits on it.

oh, and your question: it's a sound thing. microphones are expensive. the sound in the office scene in "gravida" got all [censored] up, which is probably the part you're thinking of, and there was no way to fix it without ADR, which wasn't an option.