View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Where\'s the best place for a poker player to move to?

OP's an online player. Until the status of online poker play in the U.S. is clarified, I don't think we can advise him to move here. Also, there is a tax issue -- gambling wins are taxable both in Mississippi and Louisiana. Anyway, I couldn't in good conscience tell anyone to move to New Orleans, when all I want to do is flee the place. Biloxi seems to be making a better recovery, with everyone pulling together, but in New Orleans we have two huge problems -- lack of doctors/hospitals and a ginormous crime rate. With the collapse of the dollar, I do think from what I've seen that the deep South is just as cheap as Central America and many other popular destinations for ex-pats but that's because of our huge hurricane risk and lack of affordable health care/health insurance. My 3 bed/2 bath house is cheaper than the equivalent houses I've seen in Costa Rica, but if I can't insure it and can't insure my health, I wonder if I'm ahead at the end of the day. True, there is some risk of hurricane in Costa Rica, but slip a bit further south into Panama where the risk is very low, and it really makes me wonder if we're doing the right thing staying here.