View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Counthomer is very accurate, except for the future of poker in the US

"I am therefore one of a large group of people in the industry who think the publication of the regulations will be the end of poker (as it currently exists)."

Counthomer is very accurate regarding payment options and efforts to facilitate US players' business. I would add that as US Banks acquire smaller foreign banks, additional doors have closed over the last couple of years ... add in HSBC, RBS and Barclays to the exiting Banks and you get a better picture of the squeeze on handling US players' transactions.

However, I am one of an apparently smaller group of people who agree with everything counthomer says, EXCEPT that I believe the publication of the Regs will NOT be the end of poker (as it currently exists). I happen to think that the Regs will have a couple of exemptions which will be exploitable. Also there are poker operators who will not abandon the US market, as the poker industry is NOT outlawed under Federal law.

I do think that one or more of the big 3 poker operators in the US market WILL exit, but definitely not all 3.

I also think you WILL see US Brand Name operators handling poker by early 2009.