View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Suggestions for good wedding songs

Play music that even the old people can get into, not just stuff you like. I did the music for my wedding and it went over really well. I divided the CD's into Dinner, Post Dinner, Reception, and Special Songs. For Dinner I used a lot of jazz and stuff for while ppl where eating and we were taking pics. Post Dinner was some of the stuff that I like for while people were just relaxing and hanging out. Reception songs were for getting people to dance a bit with a few slow songs thrown in. Special songs were for the first dance and the dance with the mom/dad and whatever else.

Dinner: Moody, mostly instrumental. Conversational music. Bela Fleck, Wes Montgomery, Martin Medeski Wood, Beatles Here come the sun, some JJ Cale, Louis Armstrong Kiss to build a dream on, some Pat Metheny, and some slower Allman Bros.

After Dinner: Upbeat tunes that I like that were a little more obscure in some cases. Beck, Grateful Dead, JJ Cale, Otis Redding, Wilco, Ween (Stay Forever - highly recommend), Los Lobos, Little Feat, Beck

Reception: This is where I went with songs with mass appeal. Wonderful Tonight, Billy Preston will it go round in circles, Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Kool and the Gang, Michael Jackson, Outkast, Norah Jones, Sam and Dave, James Brown, KC and the Sunshine Gang, Marvin Gaye, Joe Cocker, Dusty Springfield, Parliament, the Temptations, Van Morrison (Someone LIke You), Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder, Manhattans - You are my shining star, Allman Brothers

Special Songs - Beastie Boys 'girls' for throwing the bouquet, someone like you for the first dance, Queen another one bites the dust for taking off the garter belt thing, and L. Armstrong Wonderful World for one of the other dances (maybe Mom/Son)

I'm a musician and have real specific music tastes but the reason I think this worked well was because I didn't inundate ppl with the music that I would like.

If you want more specific song recs PM me. I still have it all saved on my computer. Hope this helps.