View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: .50/1 LO8 A2 suited out of the small blind

Giant Fan - This may sound like heresy, but I think it's a very poor tactic to raise before the flop with this hand in a limit game after one limper when you are in the small blind.

I think we should assume CO has an ace for his limp.

Heads-up, if we give CO an ace plus three random cards, Hero and CO are just about even, with Hero out of position.

Meanwhile, with two opponents, assuming one has an ace plus three random cards and the other has four random cards Hero would have a slight equity edge.

(I would estimate CO and the big blind poster respectively have AXYZ and WXYZ).

Thus if your raise causes BB to fold, you lose your equity advantage.

If your raise does not knock out BB, you do have a slight pre-flop advantage and you are getting more money into the pot when you have that slight equity advantage.

However, that can all change quickly after the flop and opponents who understand the game and who try to put you on cards for your actions will suspect you might hold ace-deuce-Y-Z and will play accordingly after the flop.

At any rate, I limp with this hand from the small blind. And then I bet this particular flop, hoping to win immediately, but having some drawing possibilities.

Not a big deal. Sort of a difference in style and approach. On the first betting round I'm less aggressive that you and on the second betting round, more aggressive. It's a matter of timing.

When you raise before the flop, then there's more money in the pot and it's harder to win the pot with aggressive play on the second betting round when you get a flop such as this one. (Or with a different flop, I might want to bet for value).

Just my opinion (and evidently Bart's opinion also).

Buzz