View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Cheating in Online Poker

I may have more to say about this, but it seems to me there are (at least) two separate problems here, and some are more concerned about one or the other. I dont think they are actually mutually exclusive, though they kind of seem like they would be.

Problem 1: Multi-accounting is a problem because it creates an information asymmetry. If UCLA is playing under JoeSchmo's name, then UCLA knows he is up against Foucault but Foucault does not know he is up against UCLA. Similarly, the vast majority of players who don't know the extent of this problem (including myself probably even now, and certainly until recently) are not making an informed decision to buy into a tournament because they don't realize exactly what they are getting into.

Problem 2: Multi-accounting creates a perception of wide-spread cheating that, true or not, scares away many recreational players who contribute EV to the tournament.

In the first case, the central problem is that fish don't know multi-accounting is going on. In the second, the problem is that they do.