View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Pros knowing only one game?

I posted here in news, views and gossip because i recalled someone told me that Layne Flack only plays low ball or something to that effect and wanted more insight.

I know that most poker pros who make money playing one game is usually no limit holdem. I assume the 2nd most popular game they play is limit holdem. However, i wanted to know if there are some players who say only play a game like 7 card stud to make a living. For instance, i know keith sexton is known as the authority on 7 card stud but he also plays nl holdem.

Basically what i am trying to ask is are there some poker players who are so good at one game such as 7 card stud but they are a complete fish... meaning they are an ATM in a game like no limit holdem because they just are terrible at it?

Are there a lot of pro players like this? I am asking this because I am trying to become a good limit holdem player along with those other limit games like omaha hi/low, 7 card stud and 7 card stud hi low but I don't even want to ever play no limit holdem anymore b/c i don't like it. Basically i want to stick to one side and thats limit.

Are there any pros who by chance make a lot of money as their living by playing a rare game like triple draw 2-7 and only playing that one game because they are so good at it that they don't want to play other games b/c they know they are lesser skilled even if they learned more? Like they play 100/200 triple draw 2-7 and that is the only game they play to support himself or herself? Can anyone also give an example of a pro they know that does this?

Any insight would be great. Thanks for any comments.