View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: common to have this much of a br swing???

[ QUOTE ]
ok my last question on this topic is.....is it possible to build a good br from low limit sngs or am i banging my head against the wall for no reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is possible. If you have the skill to beat higher limits, though this approach doesn't make any sense. At low limit S&Gs, playing three tables, you might be able to make only $2/hour. You would be better off getting a job and saving money until you had enough bankroll to play at higher limits. Of course, if you just play for fun and building a bankroll is secondary, than this approach is fine.

Regarding downswings, theoretically a downswing of any amount is possible. The more you play, the larger downswing you might experience (which is why the idea of a fixed bankroll is wrong, you need to let your bankroll grow). If a winning player plays 10,000 tournaments, a 50 buy-in downswing at some point is completely normal. On the other hand a 50 buy-in downswing would be fairly unusual for a winning player over just a few hundred tournaments. On the (other) other hand if 200 winning players each play a few hundred tournaments, one of them will probably have a 50 buy-in downswing.

Given the above, though, as others have alluded to, don't fall into the trap of assuming a downswing is due to running bad. More often than not it is due to bad play. Regardless of the cause, it is a good idea to continuously evaluate your play.

Paul