View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: AC closing in on Vegas?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really am not much of a nightlife person myself, but I can't imagine that Los Angeles doesn't have at least as good nightlife as Las Vegas. For the limited nightlife I enjoy (going to hear good local and touring bands play) Los Angeles certainly has it way over Las Vegas. About the only thing worse I could see would be that you would have to drive awhile to get from the poker to the nightlife in LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that is the point. LV is a destination precisely because those things are all in one spot - even in the same hotel. You could have a great trip without ever leaving the Wynn, say.

Of course L.A. has all that stuff - and yet every weekend thousands of Angelenos make the trip out to LV.

That evolution took a while. The addition of high quality restaurants to the normal buffets and the change in shows from headliners and burlesque to some really great options happened over the last 15 years. But LV had a huge head start over AC precisely because it is farther from LA than AC is from Philly and NYC.

AC day trips are easy and pretty much the norm. LV is a definite overnight and weekend destination. So the hotels had to offer something - even if it were the simple cheap shrimp cocktails and topless shows to start.

What does AC offer? Coin-in rebates on bus trips.

As PA and other states near AC add gambling, AC will have to add more to draw the players. The Borgata and the Quarter at the Trop are a start (in fact the compliment the Borgata gets all the time is that it feels like a Vegas property). But the city as a whole is way behind Las Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy to report, they are just straight-up rebates now. They just hand you a twenty dollar bill and a $5 buffet coupon, its glorious for a poker player who has no intention of playing any slot machine. $12 roundtrip to AC.