View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Just Saw Sicko, Now Have Question

The big problem with a nationalized healthcare system is that in-shape and healthy people would be subsidizing the worthless obese unhealthy idiots. I completely agree with providing care to those who can't afford it and have some major medical problem, but I do not feel that we should have to all ship in to pay for the morbidly obese person who can't work as a result and needs huge amounts of healthcare paid for.

We have the best medical care in the world, and yes some people still don't get fair treatment. There is no perfect system and I would rather have the personal responsibility to stay in shape and keep relatively healthy.

Edit: I am friends with a girl who is going to have a Kidney transplant in the UK. She said it is nice because expensive treatment is paid for, but she is from an aristocratic family and is getting treated at the best hospital in London and still has trouble getting things scheduled. She needs the transplant ASAP (and has her uncle lined up to be a donor) but has been trying for more than two months to get the actual surgery scheduled. She may have to go on dialysis in the meantime where anyone in the US with her fiscal situation could schedule the surgery almost immediately. I don't want to be forced to wait for a treatment in a nationalized system I would have the ability to afford (or have private insurance for) in ours.