View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 06:42 AM

Default Re: [5/10] Three hands from my comeback session

[ QUOTE ]
i think hand 1 is a calldown because we have to establish to villain that we cannot be bluffed in future hands in similar spots. of course there is meta-game (he may elect to bluff despite you showing that you will not fold Ace-high in 3-bet pots on paired boards) but i wouldn't expect it. once he shows us that he wasn't bluffing, we start folding.

hand 2 i check/call the river since i do not see him calling down with a hand like Ad xd or any similar hands that you beat. in addition, if you c/c the river he might put you on a missed FD or AQ/AT so that villain may:

1) bet a hand that missed (e.g. FD)
2) not value-bet hands that beat you like TT-99

showing that villain indeed called the river bet may have skewed the feedback you were looking for in this hand.

in hand 3, check PF unless villain is a donk who folds too many flops. you have >50% equity and position, but reverse implied odds. in my games (which look softer), i would raise K7o+ here. oh yeah it's the same villain from before: chances are he has probably read stox's book so definitely read up on blind vs blind play (pg 90 or so). you are only getting 5 to 1 when he c/r-s the turn and if you believe you are behind, you are not getting good enough odds to continue. in general i would check the turn here with some frequency to induce a bluff on the river. it hurts to give away a free card, but it keeps you from getting semi-bluffed or putting many BBs in drawing to 5 outs vs a tough player. in other words, it helps keep the pot small. it also balances out the times when you have a hand you cannot call a river bet with.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like you missed that I was in position in hand 2. If I somehow had been OOP then I agree that check/calling the river is good.

Regarding hand 3 and my PFR then I agree to you all, raising K3o is not that good against this type of player. The times I do raise it is when I decided to raise any two cards anyway, and when I do that generally depends on the flow of the table, my image and the play of recent hands. It's definitely not a default play of mine.

Also, the postflop is more interesting anyway. Just pretend I had A3s instead where a PFR would be decent, and we would have the exact same situation postflop.