View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Dilemma: Experienced online player vs casual home game buds

Does anyone have this same problem: being an experienced online player who dedicates himself to continues poker improvement; while spending Friday nights with a group of friends who play $10 home tournaments every week.

My buddies all love poker too, but the don't have the time, or ambition to pursue a learning of the game. There styles and strategies can be very easy to beat with classic textbook play. The fact that I am experienced and have the added ability to read their moves through their personalities, and react accordingly makes me a bigger force in the game.

While I enjoy being a dominant player, I almost feel guilty doing so. I never feel guilty beating the piss out of guys in the Sit and Goes, but with my buddies, its different. Even players think they are better than they actually are, some have started to notice that I am the best player there, and my play becomes more analyzed and single out than other players.

Don't get me wrong: I love winning and have worked hard to learn how to do so. But I also don't want that to hurt me socially in any way. If I want to make money, I don't have to win it from my friends, as I can win it online instead. I worry about sometimes alienating my friends hoping that the idea of not inviting me so they have a better chance of winning doesn't come up. Some guys who think that poker is about luck and getting cards won't be concerned about me. I just hope guys don't get so sick of losing that they see me in a threating way.

The dilemma is, that I have sometimes thought about throwing games, or finishing for the second place money instead of first. The problem with this, would be that I'd feel like I was cheating myself, or doing something wrong.

Rather than throwing games, what is the best way to deal with this. I've been told about an idea to lose money on zero EV bets by betting on the color of the flop. I will try that. Also, I will use money I win to buy drinks, but alot of the time, guys don't go out other than just play cards.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be awesome. Or any shared stories.