View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Re: is landlord trying something fishy?

[ QUOTE ]
I move out on july 31st from my apt. My landlord knows im moving out then because we have talked about it. 2 different times now she has asked me and my roomates for a written paper saying that we are moving out with all our names on it.

I have never had to do anything like this before. She mentioned something about doing it so we could get out deposit back. This makes no sense to any of my roomates???

is she trying to get us??

[/ QUOTE ]

You should always submit in writing yourself. If you don't your landlord could charge you rent for August. Conversations are useless.

[ QUOTE ]

Also she never filled out a damage report before we moved in. She said she was going to come and do it but just never did.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your responsibility, not hers. You should've done it and if she needed to be there you should tell her to come. Also you should really take pictures of the place with a digital camera when you move in so you really have good documentation of the move-in condition.

[ QUOTE ]

Is there anyway we wont get our deposit back. The house is in good shape, but i dont want her trying to pull anything over on us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, you haven't protected yourself AT ALL so she can probably take as much of your deposit as she sees fit.

[ QUOTE ]

If I had to take her to small claims court or something would I win. It would be impossible to prove we did any of the damage. I obv hope none of this happens but I am just wondering if worse came to worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL she doesn't have to prove that you did the damage. If there is damage and you didn't document it then you are liable. You would have to prove that the damage was pre-existing, which it sounds like you can not.