Thread: Smoked Meat
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Smoked Meat

[ QUOTE ]
blarg,

A turkey wont fit on the current smoker, but I have smoked turkey before with good results. Salmon is a good suggestion, and something i will have to try soon. WTF is OX tails?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ox tail, the tail of an ox dur.

My dad uses the electric ones, its really easy but I like real charcoal/wood smokers. I have a weber smoky mountain:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Brisket is a bitch to do right, Ive done 3, and they were super super tender, but they were just a tiny bit dry (each smoke was over 12 hours). the trick is to find a good brisket, not one from sams club, one from a real butcher. Ribs are actually the easiest thing imo, make sure you match your wood up with what you are smoking. Mesquite is rarely good for much unless its brisket or some other big side of beef, oak is what I normally use, but for smaller cuts of pork (ribs, sausage, etc) I like apple/cherry or something similar.

what Ive done so far:

crown roast: probably my favorite so far, turned out unbelievably well

turkey: I posted pics etc in teh bbq thread in ELd's forum, turned out really well for my first time, the wood was a little to strong, and the brine was too spicy imo

beer can chicken: always great, and easy, I like to get honey and drizzle it over the bid towards the end

with any bird, I usually baste it with some butter and herbs because you need to crisp the skin up (if you are using electric, just crisp it up at the begining on the gas grill)

oh ya, at our school picnic, I smoked some salsissa, I had random people that I didnt know who drifted over to the house we were cooking at go to teh store to get more becuase we ran out, and I promised them more, it was really that good. I used apple + cherry + oak.