View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Is limit or no limit holdem more safer to play?

I put this thread in this forum because i am just thinking about playing small stakes holdem instead of no limit small stakes.

I'm a 50NL player on full tilt and pokerstars but pretty much started online poker 2 years ago. I guess I am not really a beginner but this would serve as a beginner question. I made most of my money bonuswhoring with those 10x bonuses etc while playing either 50NL or 1/2 fixed limit to clear it.

I only play 50NL cash games now but the games have been so tight. I have read books like small stakes holdem, hoh1 and NLTAP. However, i don't ever think that i will ever be a good no limit player because i am not really a deep thinker. Whenever i am in a big pot, i do get nervous either because i have a tough decision like knowing if my overpair is good OR when i get c/r in those marginal spots. Then i tried to play like a nit, set mining but that didn't work out too well.

I remember watching Rounders and Matt Damon said that some people just can't play no limit holdem because one wrong decision cause you to lose everything which is why so many pros refuse to play no limit. I am an ABC player so if i play a poker game against thinking no limit players, I will be crushed no matter what. I also hate losing 2 buyins because that really messes up my day when i have an overpair to someones set or i have a smaller boat or something to that regard. I am talking about full ring of course.

In limit, i only played 1/2 full ring. It gets frustrating sometimes because of the suckouts when others chase and it gets worst as time goes by. However, the only thing i like about limit holdem is that you can't lose your entire buyin in one hand. Say you buy in 100 into a 1/2 limit game, there isn't one decision you have to face where you have to put all your chips in on a decision that is very hard.

I guess a good majority of you guys understand what I am saying here about my limit game and no limit game. I tried to do good in limit then quit and jumped to no limit. Then i kept switching back and forth and well you get the story. But now i really feel limit holdem poker is more for me because I rather get crushed for one bet at a time rather than as a whole buyin. I know that one mistake takes one bet away from me whereas no limit i can lose it all or miss out on a decision b/c i got bluffed.

Based on what I said here, am I just a limit kind of person than a no limit player? Just so summarize again, I don't like playing big pots unless i hold a very strong hand and most of the time in no limit, i cant really put my opponent on a hand that well. Limit is more straightforward.

However, i was told limit has more downswings and you may feel those 300BB's downswings. However, arent those 300BB's downswings going to take a lot of hands to happen? I mean, i could play 50NL and have a 300BB downswing in 10 minutes.

Your thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]