View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Re: high hands: how do you play them?

The problem I see with a hand like KKQQ as opposed to KQJ10 is that KKQQ is misplayed much more often than KQJ10. Of course if all else is equal, KKQQ is stronger, but I think for a lot of players it's a -EV hand b/c they continue on a low flop with an over pair, and they justify it by thinking they might have the best high hand and have four outs to what's usually going to be top set, and they end up at showdown with one pair playing for half the pot.

Of course this is all relative to the player in question though.

But with four big connectors it's easier to play simply because of the lack of having an overpair on a low flop, and all the situations having an overpair presents.

A hand I had yesterday gave me some borderline trouble.

Double suited pocket kings, i.e, black KK47. The flop came with two low cards and two of my flush draw, and I had a backdoor flush draw with my over pair, and a very mediocre low draw. iirc 4 people saw the flop with me limping in after another limper and given the nature of the game I expected an unraised 4 or 5 way pot, which makes my hand often difficult to play but still a +ev hand. i made my flush on the turn but was unable to raise as it made a low possible but i was bet into by a player who would bet many hands in that spot and i had a player behind me after he bet. my flush was good at showdown, my low wasn't, but it demonstrates that you have to exercise caution with these types of hands, including the second nuts, especially on a board with a low possible because it's very possible to be getting free-rolled even if your high hand is best at the moment.

what high hands often boil down to is being +EV but very difficult to play both preflop and post flop. they're by far the hardest hands to play in this game, and I think that beginners would do themselves well to proceed very cautiously with them as most beginners will have a hold'em background and will play accordingly.