View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: high hands: how do you play them?

i didnt read your entire OP, but i'll give you some basic, or maybe not so basic info on high hands in LO8.

high hands play well in multiway pots. draw from this what you will.

high hands are high variance hands. they generally will not win b/c too often you wont be able to play them past the flop, so they're usually a small investment, but when they do win they have great scoop potential. in other words, you'll lose several small bets with them seeing a flop, often times not going to showdown, but when played correctly- you will often scoop large pots with them when you go to showdown.

if you have QJT9 in a four way pot and the flop comes J-2-3, it is almost always correct to abandon your hand on the flop.

something that many players forget when playing high only hands is that you're usually playing for half the pot. i.e., maybe there's 10 BB's in the pot, but if there's 3 low cards on the board, you're getting 5-1 nearly always. so bear in mind that when two low cards are on the board on the flop, there's going to be 24 cards that can come on the turn or river that cut your pot odds in half.

people get frustrated with high only hands and often misplay them because they haven't won a pot with one in a long time. remember, often times it's worth it to see a flop, but you need to be aware that most of the time your four face cards will be in the muck after the flop.

edited to add:

if you're in the CO or the Button and there's two or three limpers to you, or if there's two limpers and a couple of light blind defenders, i'd reccomend raising the majority of your high only hands.

an obvious spot here is when there's three limpers and you're on the button with something similar to KKJ10 or KQJ10, or AKQJ. the deck will often be rich in high cards, and your implied odds are very good in spots like this, and your hand should be easy enough to play past the flop that you're only investing one more small bet and when you continue with the hand past the flop you should often have by far the best of it.