View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
There are a few things that have been bothering me since I finished the book.
I will start with the first. We find out Snape was actually loyal to DD and he was remorseful for what he did. However, was he? In the pensive it seemed he only cared for Lily and no one else. Isn't that just being extremely covetous and selfish?
But anyway he has been helping Harry the whole time. But then explain the final fight scene in HBP. He is yelling at Harry and hurting him, because Harry called him a coward. And from the writing in the book it seems he was really hurting harry, losing control, and definitely going to kill Harry until Buckbeak showed up.
So what is your take? He walked a narrow line between hate and love with Harry? Was it all an act? What was the point of not telling Harry Snape was an ally? Their occulemncy lessons were a disaster. Snape argued with everyone in the order, but never betrayed them. I just dont get it. He was helping those who loathed him. Even if he survived the final battle of Hogwarts who would he have loved with? He never would have fit in with the "good" guys. Something doesnt seem to fit for me. What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Snape still did not like Harry because he reminded him of James who he utterly detested ever since they were in school. However, he was willing to protect him and help him because he didn't want Lily to die in vain. He never got over Lily's death and wanted to avenge her and grant her last wish (which was relayed through Voldemort) that Harry be saved. He couldn't tell Harry because Harry would likely not believe him in any of the earlier books and he didn't want to treat him like Malfoy or anything because he still detested the parts of Harry that were like James. Also, Dumbledore had told him not to give his memory to Harry until Voldemort seemed scared and protective of Nagini. He never aimed to kill Harry at the end of HBP and only defended himself for the most part against the spells that he had once created. Furthermore, he protected Harry from several of the other death eaters' curses in this scene saying that he was to be left for Voldemort. Snape was also fleeing alongside other death eaters so he couldn't have even attempted to explain anything to Harry, not that it would have gone over well.