View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the whole blatant Christian allegory bit, namely:

1) Harry willingly sacrifices himself to save everyone
2) Harry returns from the dead
3) Everyone is protected/saved from Voldemort's evil magic through Harry's sacrifice

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like basically every heroic story ever? I read an article ages ago, talking about how there are seven "template" stories, and basically every story is based off of these original templates (i.e., betrayal (a la judas), epic (odyssey/iliad), etc.)

Anyway, there are a lot of blatant allegories in the HP universe (most specifically, the WW2 one...a halfblood leads an army of purebloods to power? hmm...)

Anyway, my original post before 2p2 decided it wanted to try to eat it:

Neville was [censored] metal, it was badass. I just watched the Goblet of Fire movie and he's such a noob in it, that him taking torture all year, and then pulling the sword out of the hat (Which, because it belonged to Gryffindor, according to book 1, any Gryffindor that needs it will have it pop out. Which, in turn, probably led to a few pissed off goblins.) to own Nagini? The only way that would have been more hardcore is if he bit the snake's head off, a la Bear Grylls.

I do dislike how she handled finding the horcruxes, though. "Man, we're stuck in the forest and we can't find [censored], what are we suppos--oh wait, Voldemort's thinking about the horcruxes somebody grab a pencil."

It just didn't seem very hard for them to get all of the horcruxes -- especially in Gringotts. I thought Gringotts was like a magical Fort Knox. Though I guess the hard part would be in getting a goblin to help you.

And I like the Hallows plot line, it adds a lot to the saintly Dumbledore...he craved power just as much as Voldemort, and although he was doing it under different auspices (wizards being in control is in muggles interest), the net result was exactly the same as Voldemort's powergrab; that is, wizard domination of "lower" species. I think Hermione says something to that effect -- "Magic Is Might" is basically the same as saying "for their own good."